As we now enter February, we can get rid of those January blues as we look forward to what will be a busy and exciting few months. We have been very busy here at the Society as we prepare for the Stirling Bull Sales and we look forward to seeing many of you there. We hope that you have all received this year’s 101st edition of the Aberdeen-Angus Review – we have received some great feedback and would like to thank all of those involved. Take a look at what’s been happening in and around the Society over the past 14 days!
Stirling February Bull Sales will take place this weekend with all timings being confirmed. Make sure to check out the show and sales section on the website to see the full programme of events, we look forward to seeing many of you there. There will be live Facebook posts of the show and sale so keep your eyes peeled on the Facebook page, also tuned into the United Auctions live webcam where you will see the live event.
Aberdeen-Angus Society AGM will also take place on Sunday 3rd of February, we look forward to sharing with you all important topics and subjects discussed.
The Connaught/Leinster Aberdeen-Angus Club held its first ever dinner dance at the Athlone Springs Hotel, Athlone, Co. Westmeath last weekend. The event was very successful and was great at adding a social element to the club’s yearly activities, whilst also providing an opportunity to celebrate the biggest winners from last year’s All-Ireland Aberdeen-Angus Championships and the National Aberdeen-Angus Calf Show.
AHDB Beef and Lamb is urging farmers to start recording to improve profitability and to boost competitiveness, find out more about their ‘shout about the sire’ campaign in the news section!
This year we made the move to provide an online version of the Aberdeen-Angus Review, allowing a much wider readership and reach for all the content and adverts included within the publication. For those of you who prefer to do your reading online, you can access the online version at: https://www.aberdeen-angus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/attachments/AACS-TheReview-2019-web-1.pdf
To keep up with all other news from the Society as well as all the latest updates from shows, sales and other events, just head over to the appropriate sections on our website:
News and features: http://aberdeen-angus.co.uk/news/
Show and Sales news: http://aberdeen-angus.co.uk/news/show-and-sales/
In the final paragraph of the South West of England Club Report of page 14 of the Review, a reference is made to the Three Counties Show. This is incorrect and does not refer to the Royal Three Counties Show, but in fact refers to the three county shows at Devon, Bath and West and Cornwall. Apologies for any confusion caused.
News and notices from the CEO
- The February bull sales mark the 1-year marker for my time at the Society and I don’t know where the year has gone!
- There was an interesting range of speakers and huge amount of positive and favourable statements about our breed at the Cattle Breeders Conference. It’s always great to hear positive statements from outside sources. I look forward to sharing a summary next week.
- Interesting meeting at the House of Lords with some new thoughts behind the way forward for the red meat industry keep your eye on the press for details.
- East Anglia Aberdeen-Angus Club AGM was held this week with a chance to meet some old and new faces, thanks to all for their hospitality and giving up the time to listen to me!
- Many thanks to Duncan and Tracey Jeary for their time and hospitality. It was great to see their herd and to have a tour of their farm. A great demonstration of why they choose Aberdeen-Angus and why they need to keep growing the herd to keep up with demand through the shop!
- Thanks also to Robert Clark at Shadwell for taking me through the activities at the Shadwell herd, a most interesting look at the reasons whys and wherefores that influence the choice of breeding stock on the farm.
- It has been a hectic time in the lead up to the February Bull sales, thank you to Caroline, Fiona and Yvonne for gathering all the information that we needed to publish the sale catalogue in good time. Also a big thank you to Barbara, Amy and Helena for sorting pen cards and catalogues – well done to you all.
- Also thanks to Laura and Angela for all their input into the weekends events, Laura for planning and organising all of the timings and venues and Angela for all the work on the financials required to be reported at the AGM.
- I am now understanding more about the way things work and hope to streamline the process over the coming year to make it better for everyone.
- The Bull sales also marks the last council gathering at the AGM and the first brief Council meeting for the new council members.
- I look forward to seeing so many of you at the Drinks reception at Stirling Agricultural Centre. Tickets have flown out this year, make sure to get one quick as there are only a few left.
- Good luck to our two shadow Judges at the show this year Maddie Clark and Sam Matchett under the watchful eye of Show Judge Tom Arnott. Look forward to seeing you nominated to the Judges Panel
- Most of the office staff will be at Stirling at some point over the weekend, if you are there don’t hesitate to say hello and ask them anything that you want to know.
Notes and actions from Laura Stewart
- Work in the offices to make way for the new phone system is well underway and hopefully should be completed by spring 2019 along with the reorganising of the office
- AGM, and Council meetings, Drinks reception and trophy presentation all sorted, and timings are at the end of this update.
- Look forward to seeing you on Sunday evening at the presentation!
- Preparation for the 2019 show season is well underway with many show stands spaces booked and the infrastructure in place.
News and notices from Angela Cumming in the Finance Dept
- A kindly reminder that membership for 2019 is due to be paid, if not already done so! Don’t forget we are making it easy to pay you can pay by either cheque, internet banking or credit card.
- We still have one or two tickets left for the Drinks Reception. We have kept back 10 for any prize winners who may wish to attend. What tickets we have left are with Fiona. Members wishing to attend can get them from Fiona on the Sunday at the Judging ring. Cost £10.00, first come, first served!
News and Notices from the Registrations Department
- Forthcoming Bull sales, could we please ask that you enter your bulls for the forthcoming sales as soon as possible please.
- Farm health declarations for catalogues are also very important so that the catalogues can be distributed in good time before the sales, this allows buyers to see what everyone has to offer.
- For the instructions for registering male calves in 2019 please refer to the green leaflet that came with the annual accounts, a reminder that all registered male calves will be sire verified and Myostatin tested inclusive of the current registration fee.
- As we head towards the busy spring calving period we will do our upmost to help anyone with any difficulties with their online registrations.
News and Notices from the Pedigree Cattle Services Team
The GeneProb software has updated the database with the information on probability by pedigree the chance of your animals carrying any of the four genetic conditions AM, CA, NH, DD. If you have an animal which has a high probability of being a carrier please contact the Society and we can arrange for it to be tested.
Go to members log on, download files and results for all animals in your herd are available.
Genetic Test Codes
The genetic condition status of Aberdeen-Angus animals is routinely displayed for the following genetic conditions:
- Arthrogryposis Multiplex (AM)
- Contractual Arachnodactyly (CA)
- Neuropathic Hydrocephalus (NH)
- Developmental Duplications (DD)
For more information on genetic conditions and how to manage them go to:
News and Notices from YDP
- Many members will have received the registration form for the YDP for 2019, don’t forget to send them back so that we can keep in contact with you and informed of developments and activities we are planning for the 2019 campaign. You can Access the Registration form here.
- The Senior Conference Deadline is approaching make sure that you don’t miss out and the registration and further details are available here.
- John Wray from the City And Guilds is coming to the sales this weekend make sure that you have a word with him about the qualifications that you can earn while enjoying the YDP programme
- We will be posting opportunities to join the YDP and become part of the programme in the restructured team approach to make the programme work. If you know anyone who might be interested have a look on the Web site at the job descriptions and see if you could spare a little time to help us deliver our annual programme.
Shows, Sales and Events
Key upcoming events are shown below:
Stirling Bull Sales 3rd – 4th February:
- Saturday 2nd February – Bull Inspection from 11.30am
- Sunday 3rd February – Show of Aberdeen-Angus Bulls and Females from 9.45am
- Sunday 3rd February – Society Annual General Meeting in the Conference Suite UA at 3.45pm
- Sunday 3rd February – Drinks reception and prize giving in Conference Suite UA from 6.00pm – 7.30 pm – tickets available from Pedigree House @£10.00 / head
- Monday 4th February – Sale of Aberdeen-Angus Bulls and Females from 10.30am
12th February – Dungannon Sale: Dungannon Farmers Mart
We are excited to be bringing you a new merchandise range which will be available to order in the coming weeks. Keep your eyes peeled as we will be bringing you a range of new sizes, colours and embroidery options which you can order!
With the cold and wintery weather conditions spreading across many parts of the UK, why not keep your drinks warm with our Aberdeen-Angus Travel Mugs – perfect for those long trips away and available for only £8!
You can purchase by phoning the office directly, speak to Yvonne who can deal with and dispatch your orders for all our merchandise. You can pay over the phone by card or simply add it to your next invoice. Full range of merchandise available to view online at: https://www.aberdeen-angus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/attachments/Merchandise-poster-2018-web.pdf
From all at the Society, have a great weekend!