Bi-Weekly Update: 2nd November 2018
With Guy Fawkes night just around the corner and the clocks having officially gone back, it means that the darker and colder nights are settling in across the UK and Ireland! We hope that you are prepared for the cold and windy weather conditions and if not, then head to our Merchandise section where we might be able to help!
This week marks the first of our new ‘style/format’ of our Bi-Weekly Updates which will hopefully make it easier for us to communicate all the great things that are going on in the Society and provide some more added value with input from all different areas within the office and Society! Check out what’s been going on in and around your Society over the past 14 days.
101st Aberdeen-Angus Review: Advertising Deadline Extension
The deadline for booking adverts for the Aberdeen-Angus 101st edition of the review has been extended to Friday 16th of November! We are keen to allow as many members as possible to advertise and due to several requests for some more time, we have decided to extend the deadline. Keep in mind that once booked, you have plenty of time after to have your artwork finalised.
Make sure to get your advert bookings in as soon as possible to Michael at Denvir Marketing. He can be contacted through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 01786 448160. A link to the booking form can be shown below. For those of you who have submitted your booking forms, please make sure to have your artwork sent in by the 30th of November – many thanks to all in advance.
The October Stirling Bull Sales was a great success for the breed which saw a top price of 22,000gns achieved. The main Aberdeen-Angus sale saw an 80% clearance rate reached with 47 bulls selling to an average of £5,737, an increase of £674 on last year, making it a great day for the breed. The sale of the Schivas herd seen great success, achieving a top price of 18,000gns, which was one of three five-figure sums achieved for Schivas on the day, and the renowned Moncur herd also went under the hammer and achieved a top price of 22,000gns, rounding off a wonderful few days for Aberdeen-Angus.
To keep up with all other news from the Society, including some great insight into our YDP winners, an update from one of our Future Leaders in Matthew Rollason and all the latest news from shows, sales and other events, just head over to the appropriate sections on our website:
News and features: http://aberdeen-angus.co.uk/news/
Show and Sales news: http://aberdeen-angus.co.uk/news/show-and-sales/
News and notices from the CEO
- Bull sales and dispersals have dominated the activity in the last fortnight, it is really great to see such a strong trade for the breed in all sections of the sale and the breed demand shown in the bidding making it a good read in the press. Many thanks to the team at Pedigree house for their support at the show on Sunday and the sale on Monday as the behind the scenes work that goes into staging the sales is quite amazing really. Well done to all of you for delivering what you needed to and meeting the time constraints faced.
- A visit to Pedigree house from QMS CEO Alan Clark and incoming Chair Kate Rowell this week led to some interesting cross-party conversations where there were a number of initiatives and activities which have commonality. Understanding the activities of QMS and the resources they have will be useful to explore moving forward.
- Work continues to deliver the review with many interesting and varied articles being assembled for inclusion into issue 101 and we hope that when it hits the mat in 2019 that you find it interesting and informative as well as a good reference point for all things Aberdeen-Angus.
- The Winter fair preparations continue, and we have received sponsorship for the event courtesy of AK Stoddart we thank you for your support at this event and others throughout the year. Many thanks to Grant Moir and his team for making this possible. We hope that there will be some results on Friday to include in this report but if not keep your eye on Facebook for an as it happens live feed of results. Hope top see as many of you there as possible.
- Heifer sale catalogue is now out for the Skipton Female sale with some good lots of well bred cattle forward, Cows and Claves with a draft sale from David Isherwood’s Airedale Aberdeen-Angus herd, as well as many other individual entries of females making it one not to be missed if you are looking for some well-bred cattle, there is some useful additions to be had for any herd.
- We are still looking for more volunteers to bring the early herd books into the digital era and preserve the written records of the breed since the days of number one! contact email@example.com if you would have a few hours to spare over the winter months and take on a volume.
- Norwich Cattle Market sees the reduction sale of Mrs Jane Cargills, Foxley Wood herd of Pedigree Aberdeen-Angus cattle on the 10th November, an opportunity to purchase some well bred stock with a high health status in one of the few cattle markets left in the East of England.
Catalogue for the sale is available here.
News and notices from Angela Cumming in the Finance Department
- As of 1st November we are going into a new financial year and it all starts all over again, Angela looks forward to handling the finances for another year.
- Thanks to everyone who cleared their accounts for the year end we are very grateful to you for helping us out.
- Card payment is always available over the phone so don’t hesitate to give Angela a call at Pedigree House
News and Notices from the Registrations Department
- February Bull sales entries are now open – please enter your bulls in plenty of time so that any DNA profiles can be done promptly. The Christmas break is always an issue with the February sales so as much help that you can give will be gratefully received.
- Please be aware and take notice that if you are entering animals at an official society sale you MUST be a member of a CHECS approved health scheme.
News and Notices from the Pedigree Cattle Services Team
- The team in Pedigree Cattle services are still working hard an all sale catalogues and performance recording for nine breeds if you want to start recording your Aberdeen Angus Herd on Breedplan don’t hesitate to call the office and speak to Barbara, Helena or Amy and they will be only too willing to help out.
News and notices from the YDP
- Part two of the future leader’s course is upcoming in November with great reports coming back from the participants of part one. A good array of speakers and mentors to deliver part two of the course and we look forward to seeing the outcome of the inaugural course after its completion.
- Coming to the quiet time for the YDP as winter closes in but if you have any ideas or would be willing to contribute in any way to the ongoing success of the YDP don’t hesitate to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and we will see what we can do!
News and notices from Ireland
- A reminder to all about 10th November - Carrick-on-Shannon, Republic of Ireland, Premier Show & Sale of Bulls & Heifers. Timings are Show starts at 11.30 am and Sale at 1.00pm Please contact Kathryn Bradshaw for further details – 0719632099
- We are looking to improve communications and we are finding that we have some mobile phone numbers for members that may have changed. If you have changed your mobile phone number in the last 5 years and not updated the society, could you please let Katheryn and Yvonne know your up to date number for our records. If you could please email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, thank you in advance of your help.
Make sure to head along to CCM Skipton Auction Mart as both Aberdeen-Angus and Beef Shorthorn will come together for a high-profile pedigree show and sale on Wednesday the 7th of November at Skipton Auction Mart – make sure to get yourself along to this first all-female sale at Skipton – certainly not to be missed.
We will also be attending this years Agrifest South West at Wespoint, Exeter Devon on Wednesday the 7th of November. Make sure to get yourself along and to come visit our stand!
Another highlight in the events calendar is the Black Beauty Bonanza which will take place at Thainstone Exchange in Inverurie on Friday 23rd November. As one of the most anticipated calf shows on the calendar, make sure to be there to see some of the very best our great breed has to offer. Entries have headed to over the 100 mark so a true spectacle for the breed in the North East. All you young handlers out there put yourselves forward for the competition and a big chance to show off your ring craft skills and make a name for yourself.
The Irish Premier Show and Sale of bulls and heifers will take place at Carrick-On-Shannon on Saturday 10th November, with the show taking place at 11.30am followed by the sale at 1pm. All animals present will be exhibitor bred, and for any further information you can contact the Irish Association on 071 9632099.
A full list of key upcoming events in the calendar is shown below:
Shows and Sales:
- 2nd November – Borderway Agri Expo, Carlisle
- 7th November - Agrifest South West
- 7th November – Female sale – CCM Auctions Skipton
- 10th November - Stars of the Future Calf Show Stirling Auction Centre
- 10th November - Carrick-on-Shannon, Republic of Ireland, Premier Show & Sale of Bulls & Heifers. Please contact Kathryn Bradshaw for further details – 071 9632099
-23rd of November: Black Beauty Bonanza - Thainstone Agricultural Centre
We have been looking into the options available in our merchandise range and are excited to be bringing you new branded car stickers which should be available for purchase very soon, branded in line with the Society’s new look and feel. Watch this space for some more developments!
In the meantime, why not wrap up warm for Guy Fawkes night with one of our stylish Aberdeen-Angus scarfs for only £25!? What better way to support the Breed whilst also staying warm this Autumn than with one of our cosy wool scarfs.
You can purchase one by phoning the office directly, speak to Yvonne who can deal with and dispatch your orders for all our merchandise where you can pay over the phone by card or simply add it to your next invoice. Full range of merchandise available to view online at: http://www.aberdeen-angus.co.uk/assets/2018/Merchandise-poster-2018-web.pdf
From all at the Society, have a great weekend!